Sunday, February 28, 2010

Black Belt is about Community Service

It is important to remember that earning a Black Belt in the Martial Arts is not just about physical ability, drive and dedication to one’s training. It is also about growing as a person. It is about being a responsible, considerate and caring human being. These are the traits that allow us to use our martial art skills with respect. A community project is one way to ensure that these personality traits are maturing as well in a black belt candidate.

As a physician, I am frequently involved with providing medical services gratis in our community. As a caring and very fortunate human being, I frequently donate funds to deserving organizations. This year I have donated monthly to a Sioux orphanage and school. I have donated a surgical correction procedure with the Smile Train. I have made an annual contribution the United Way.  I have made several contributions to St. Jude’s Hospital. I have donated funds to Cocheco Valley Humane Society and the York Center for Wildlife. I, of course, also responded to the Haitian Earthquake with a donation. I also believe it is very important to reach out and do whatever you can to make a difference in the world around you.

My community project will be very simple. It will be a donation of time as well as funds. I will participate in the Red’s Road Race on April 25th 2010. The purpose of this race is to raise funds for several community non-profit organizations including hub Family Resource Center, The Adult Learning Center, Monarch Schools of New England, Community Partners, Malley Farm Boys Home as well as the Woodman Park School.  My son Quinn will participate in the race as well. It should be fun!

- Dr.Heidi MacVittie, testing for 2nd Degree

Followers

Blog Archive