Sunday, February 28, 2010

An ambitious project that needs your help

For my community service project I will be helping the Somersworth Public Library. I had a meeting with the Library’s director, Debora Longo this week. She informed me of the group known as the Friends of the Somersworth Public Library. This organization puts on the library’s book sales. The library uses the funds from these sales to fund what they need most at the time. This year the spring book sale begins April 24th. Set up for the book sale begins April 20th, which I will be helping with. The members of the Friends are senior citizens who need a strong young person to help set up for the book sale. I will also help get the word out about the book sale beforehand via flyers that I will put up in local businesses. I want the library to sell all of the books they are putting up for sale and not have to get rid of the rest.

The library needs 6 new, wheelchair accessible tables that are approximately $400 each, not including shipping. The children’s room of the library needs 3 new sets of end panels, which are approximately $200 each not including shipping. I want to raise enough funds for the library to buy the tables and end panels. I will place donation cans in local businesses to raise the funds needed for these.

The library’s medical section needs to be upgraded. I will contact The Works and other medical offices (hospitals, doctor’s offices, clinics, etc.) to obtain donations for the medical section of the library. I will leave cans for donations from local medical offices.

The library is an important place for the community where people of all ages can enjoy the books, audio books, movies, computers, free museum passes, story and craft time, and relaxing study areas. As a child I spent many hours in the local public library (and still do) enjoying the books and the atmosphere. It’s time for me to give back.

- Nicole LaMarco, testing for 1st Degree

Followers

Blog Archive